Thursday, January 5, 2012

Collecting...Collections

col·lec·tion [kuh-lek-shuhn]  

noun
1.
the act of collecting.
2.
something that is collected;  a group of objects or an amount of material accumulated in one location, especially for some purpose or as a result of some process: a stamp collection; a collection of unclaimed hats in the checkroom; a collection of books on Churchill.
3.
the works of art constituting the holdings of an art museum: a history of the museum and of the collection.
4.
the gathered or exhibited works of a single painter, sculptor, etc.: an excellent Picasso collection.
5.
collections, the various holdings of an art museum organized by category, as painting, sculpture, works on paper, photography, or film: the director of the collections.
 
I love the thought and act of collecting.  Whether it be paintings, jewelry pieces, books, or a mixed bag of what I would consider interesting and beautiful.  That is the joy and freedom of collecting - it is simply based on your own interests, perspective and attraction to a type of object.
  
It all starts in our childhood when we find our first interest in something worth having more than one of...rocks, blankets, stuffed animals and grows as we do; changing for many into different loves and craves.  I personally have a well collected group of (and this is very specific) 1940's and 1950's plastic mechanical novelty salt and pepper shakers.  I started to collect them because they made me laugh! :) They have monetary value but that was never the thought process for collecting them.  Surround yourself with items you love that have some significant meaning to you and trigger a personal feeling- laughing, crying, inspiring, encouraging.
 
What do you collect and why? I would love for you to share your collections with me.  As handmade artists I think the diversity should be pretty interesting!
 
Look forward to all your comments - :)
Dotti 

7 comments:

  1. LOL I collect fabric of course!!! my stash has grown tremendously over the years... I LOVE FABRIC!!!! It all started when I first watched my grandma make doll clothes out of scraps. i learned to sew in school in home arts and got my first singer for graduation. i have went through at least 8 sewing machines since then (ouch!) when I started my apron shop on etsy is when I started accumulating fabric.... I now have a fabric stash that will last a long time (because of course I keep adding to it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect art cards, but I think that is a well known fact lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! I don't really collect anything. What does that tell you about me?
    I do have a wool stash but that's classed as resources, tools of the trade.
    On the other hand my husband is a hoarder. He has a fossil collection, stamp collection, and is a compulsive buyer of books. He has now begun to recognise for himself that he has OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect spices and condiments. I keep the unusual jars when I am done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to find my fellow Etsy sellers in blogland! I collect antique drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love collecting postcards from every city I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i collect buddhas, little and big - the big ones sit among my plants, making for a very peaceful and pretty scene - the little ones sit on a windowsill gathering dust - to me, a buddha is such a wonderful symbol and i love having them around me - good karma! get some!

    ReplyDelete